Discussions of TPF often involve a variety of medical and informal abbreviations and acronyms. [If editing, ensure the acronyms are internal wiki links, even if no page yet exists for that link.]
- Fib - Fibula. The minor bone of the lower leg, behind (posterior) and outside (lateral) of the tibia.
- FX - Fracture (of bone).
- NWB - Non Weight Bearing. A doctor's instruction to avoid placing any weight on the injured leg.
- OS - Operating Surgeon. The surgeon who performed the original repair.
- PT - Physical Therapist.
- PWB - Partial Weight Bearing. A doctor will generally specify a percentage of body weight which can be placed on the injured leg. The leg can be "calibrated" using a bathroom scale, to get a sense of how that amount of weight feels. Walking without any crutch generally requires 100% weight bearing. By comparison, high-impact sports activities may involved momentary loads up to 500% of body weight.
- Tib - Tibia (shin) bone.
- TPF - Tibial Plateau Fracture